Monday 9 February 2009

Train In Vain


So it was off to the Alps for the weekend.These are the things that you can do when living in central Europe.Just catch a TGV and in 4 hours you're there.Except in an effort to compromise,I decided to stop short of the high alps in favour of more leisure(beer) time in Chambery.Well how was I to know that Bourg St Maurice at the end of the line, was the last stop for Val D'Isere! How was I to know the World Downhill Skiing Championships were going on that very weekend! Chambery was deserted.Guess were everyone was and I wasn't?All I had to do was stay on the train an hour or two longer and I would have been trailing in the wake of Franz Klammer,Patrick Tomba, and Harti Weirather....I may have even got a glimpse of Anya Pearson....all this with the late David Vine's dulcet tones filling my head with nostalgia.Except it didn't happen.I didn't do my usual homework before booking a trip.This time, more than any other time, I paid a high price for my ignorance.It was still a pleasant weekend but it could have been so much more.At least I know where Val D'Isere is now.Pity David Vine didn't spell it out, all them 'Ski Sunday' years ago!

3 comments:

Thud said...

ski Sunday...I lived a very exciting life sitting on my arse watching that show....ah those where the days....take it away Mary hopkins!

Vinogirl said...

I am gutted that you missed that opportunity. How was the beer?

Lord Roby said...

Beer was fine.Well it was Belgian.Just like the Belgians don't do wine;the frogs don't beer.It was also free because the bar was closing for refurb the next day!Small merci's.Sante....