Wednesday 24 February 2010

Two Little Boys


The first little boy was brought up red.His first football kit was red and he was taken to see Liverpool bring home the FA cup in 1965,his idol was Roger Hunt and he used to go to the Liverpool training ground for autographs.......The second little boy wasn't taken to see Everton bring home the FA cup in 1966 and wasn't bought a blue kit.But the second little boy was taken to see Everton versus Leeds in 1969 by his sisters boyfriend.It was a packet of crisps and a bottle of pop at the Farmers Arms and then down to the Eagle and Child for the charrabang to Goodison Park.It was a glorious summers day in August and the blues won 3-2.On the way home Alan Ball cruised by in his gold Sunbeam Rapier shouting to the fans out of the window.After this there was no going back.My head had been completely turned.Being a turncoat has never been something that you shout from the rooftops on Merseyside,ask Steven Gerrard!...,and there have been a few times since when my faith has been tested.Not least of which was that night in Instanbul when I ended up underneath a pile of rabid celebrating Liverpool fans.It was the last place in the world I wanted to be!!! But I've had some great times down the years following the blues through thin and thinner.It's got to the point where Lady Roby has accused me of loving Everton more than her!!...there was only one answer to that...."Effin Hell,I love Liverpool more than you!"

8 comments:

Vinogirl said...

Watch out, her Ladyship may accidently spill a bottle of something red on your blue kit!

monkey said...

plenty of turncoats last sunday after smashin united, i was up a ladder painting with one such red.

Lord Roby said...

Vinogirl....Don't you think Stevie G
looks cute in his blue togs?

Vinogirl said...

Of course, but he would have looked better in red running around the Bluebell Estate :)

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Hehehe!

I like Stevie G! But then again, the last time I was at the Kop I tried to start a fight with a bunch of bald middlesboro fans. I might be small but I can run mighty fast.

Lord Roby said...

Hi Mermaid....Steven isn't a bad lad at all.I used to play football with his Dad.Needless to say,neither of us were anywhere near as good as Steven! What I'd like to know is,what were a a bunch of bald Middlesboro fans doing in the Kop in the first place?..Surely it should have been them who were running away!!

Thud said...

I think I am the red monkey was alluding too.

Trubes said...

Hello Lord Roby,
just had a good read of your blog,I've been 'off line' for several weeks due to 'techy'problems with my PC.
I'm so pleased to read that you had a coversion to the 'Blues'.
my Dad took me to see 'The Blues playing Blackpool' ,when I was eight and I've been a faithful follower ever since.
Sir Stanley was in the Blackpool team...What a 'dribbler' he was...
Golden memories!
Hope all is well at Roby Hall,
I've left a little note for you on my site,

Di.x