Tuesday 14 July 2009

Holidays in the Sun


'Cheap holidays in other peoples misery'...Hey that must mean I'm off to Cape Verde Islands for my annual vacation.This time I've done plenty of homework.A little bit of me thinks maybe I should have done this before I booked.Why?..Well apart from that fact that the holiday is all inclusive right down to the 24/7 help yourself beer tap.The little niggle is that most of the locals survive on less than a dollar- fifty a day.Being Portuguese before independence should lend itself to some sort of civilisation I guess.But there is also Brazilian and African elements in the mix.Well it is only a boat ride away from Senegal.Loads of great reviews....but also a few of some concern.Like the poor guy who got 'mugged' the first time he set foot outside the complex! Or the fact that the beach is on lockdown from 7pm.Looks like skinny-dipping is off the menu.If I was skinny I might be bothered.Also,I don't know if the armed guard at he entrance to paradise is a worry or a comfort to me.The best way to get around is by taxi.However, there are plenty of unofficial ones in the shape of pick-up trucks which are a whole lot cheaper.At least we will have unlimited food,drink and sunshine.As for the locals....'Let them eat cake'...but not mine!

4 comments:

Thud said...

not sure niggle was a wise choice of word! anyway keep inside complex and eat and drink till you burst.

Lord Roby said...

It was the nearest I could get to 'the real thing'!

Vinogirl said...

Oh dear M'Lord!

monkey said...

i took a trip to tgipt some years back, the history side was remarkable the rest was far from it. we took a further trip to the red sea via bus which was part of a 5 bus convoy all with armed gaurds travelling maximum speed through the dessert without stopping, every 50 miles or so we would pass a burnt out bus reck on the side of the road. They spend alot of money ensuring you do not see the real country and why?.. because if you did before you handed your money over you would stay at home in the rain. at least thats safe.